Public, a commission free stock-trading app similar to Robinhood, will allow its users to buy and sell cryptocurrency in the coming weeks, the company announced Thursday.
- Users will be able to buy 10 cryptocurrencies to start: bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, ether, Ethereum Classic, Litecoin, Dash, Stellar, Cardano, Zcash and dogecoin.
- Public’s customers in New York will not be immediately able to trade crypto because the company doesn’t have a BitLicense there, Public said. The firm is working on getting one, however, and says it is optimistic that crypto will be available to New York residents “soon.”
- The back-end operations of Public’s new crypto offerings will be managed by Apex Crypto.
- Public joins the likes of Square and Robinhood in offering cryptocurrency trading on its platform.
- The company says it is working towards offering its own crypto wallet in the future.
- Public said it passed the million user mark last February and has raised $310 million from investors.